A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Biddle House

This house is probably the oldest on the island. Parts of it may date from 1780. A deed to the property, upon which a one hundred dollar down payment was made in 1822 by Edward Biddle, was obtained by him in 1827 from the then owner. Biddle was a cousin of the Biddles of Philadelphia and a leading trader and citizen. For years he lived here with his Indian wife. The house is an example of the Quebec rural style. It is listed in the Historic American Buildings Survey and was restored by the Michigan Society of Architects and the building industry in 1959.

Plaque via Michigan History Center

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps