A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Benton (Community) Hall Tower Clock

Benton Hall Tower Clock
The clock in the tower of Benton [now Community Hall] was manufactured in 1913 by the E. Howard Clock
Company of Boston, Massachusetts. From that
time until it was dismantled in 1988, it 
marked the hours in the tower of the old
gas plan in Portland for commuters
traveling along St. Helens Road. It was
refurbished and presented to Oregon State
University through the efforts of the class of
1988 by Northwest Natural Gas Company on
October 29, 1988. The presentation took place
following the centennial year of historic 
Benton Hall and recognizes the important
contributions of OSU Alumni have made as
employees of Northwest Natural Gas Company.
Class of 1988

 

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps