A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Bank of Italy

BANK OF ITALY (LATER BANK OF AMERICA) HEADQUARTERS FROM 1908 TO 1921 FROM HERE A.P. GIANNINI LAUNCHED THE BRANCH SYSTEM THAT TRANSSFORMED THE NATURE OF BANKING IN AMERICA NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK

  • san francisco
  • california
  • bay area
  • bank
  • giannini
  • banking
  • bank

Farnsworth's Green Street Lab

FARNSWORTH'S GREEN STREET LAB IN A SIMPLE LABORATORY ON THIS SITE, 202 GREEN STREET, PHILO TAYLOR FARNSWORTH, U.S. PIONEER IN ELECTRONICS, INVENTED AND PATENTED THE FIRST OPERATIONAL ALL- ELECTRONIC ...

  • san francisco
  • california
  • bay area
  • television
  • green street
  • electronics

Rockridge

  • oakland
  • california
  • bay area

College Avenue Beautification Project

  • oakland
  • rotary
  • 1969
  • california
  • bay area

Ryukoku University

RYUKOKU UNIVERSITY CALIFORNIA BRANCH U.S.A. HEADQUARTERS

  • berkeley
  • california
  • bay area

Berkeley Piano Club

CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK designated in 2005 Berkeley Piano Club William L. Woollett, Architect, 1912 The Berkeley Piano Club, dedicated to the performance and study of music, was founded in 1893 by ...

  • berkeley
  • california
  • bay area
  • piano
  • woollett

Volunteer Fire Department of San Francisco

TO COMMEMORATE THE VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT OF SAN FRANCISCO 1849 - 1866 ERECTED 1933 BY BEQUEST OF LILLIE HITCHCOCK COIT

  • san francisco
  • california
  • bay area
  • fire department
  • coit

The Family

"THE FAMILY", ONE OF SAN FRANCISCO'S OLDEST AND MOST DISTINCTIVE SOCIAL CLUBS, WAS FOUNDED ON THIS SITE ON APRIL 5, 1902  THIS PLAQUE DEDICATED ON THE CLUB'S CENTENNIAL

  • san francisco
  • california
  • bay area
  • family
  • social club

Union Bank Building

UNION BANK BUILDING 1977 THIS CORNER WAS ORIGINALLY THAT PART OF SAN FRANCISCO ONCE CALLED YERBA BUENA COVE WHOSE SHORELINE WAS ABOUT ONE BLOCK FURTHER WEST AT MONTGOMERY STREET. LANDFILL OCCURRED IN ...

  • san francisco
  • bay area
  • california
  • bank
  • fire
  • yerba buena cov...
  • yerba buena

Wells Fargo

NEAR THIS SITE, ----------------- WELLS FARGO & CO. BANKING & EXPRESS ----------------- FIRST OPENED ITS DOORS FOR BUSINESS ----------------- JULY 16, 1852

  • san francisco
  • bay area
  • california
  • bank
  • wells fargo

Barbary Coast Trail

BARBARY COAST TRAIL  This Plaque Sponsored By Eric and Catherine Lamb

  • san francisco
  • bay area
  • california
  • barbary coast

The Bank of California, N.A.

THE BANK OF CALIFORNIA, N.A.

  • san francisco
  • bay area
  • california
  • bank
  • 1968

The Bank of California Building

SAN FRANCISCO HISTORIC LANDMARK NUMBER 3  THE BANK OF CALIFORNIA BUILDING "THE GRAND OLD LADY OF CALIFORNIA STREET" 400 CALIFORNIA STREET  THE BANK OF CALIFORNIA, A FOUNDING FINANCIER OF THE ...

  • san francisco
  • bay area
  • california
  • bank
  • earthquake
  • newsom
  • tanaka

Bank of California

THE BANK OF CALIFORNIA OPENED FOR BUSINESS JULY 5, 1864 AT THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF WASHINGTON AND BATTERY STREETS  IN 1865 CONSTRUCTION WAS BEGUN ON A NEW HOME AT CALIFORNIA AND SANSOME ...

  • san francisco
  • bay area
  • california
  • bay
  • bank

Woods Mills

Woods Mills Named after mills built by Beziel Wood in the early 1800's. The foundation of one of these mills can be seen at this site at low water Town of Schulyer Falls 1990 Submitted by Alan R Reno

  • reno
  • beziel wood
  • mills
  • schulyer falls

In Appreciation - Mayor A.W. Toone

IN APPRECIATION MAYOR A. W. TOONE HIS EFFORTS GREATLY CONTRIBUTED TO MAKING THIS SCHOOL POSSIBLE OFFICIALLY OPENED OCTOBER 17, 1968 Submitted by: Vincent Gornall

    Michael Dunahee Tree of Hope

    Michael Dunahee Tree of Hope Planted by the students of Blanchard Elementary School on the first anniversary of his disappearance, March 24, 1992. Rededicated by the students of Ecole Quadra School ...

      The Cave and the Basin

        The Cave and Basin Springs were brought to public attention after being located by CPR construction workers in 1883. These and the Upper Hot Springs soon drew private entrepreneurs and tourists. ...

        St. George's Episcopal Church

        St. George's Episcopal Church was first situated west of the Presbyterian Church parsonage. In the early 1800's, communicants met in private homes. By the 1900s services were held at the ...

        • shelby county
        • tennessee

        Presbyterian Church of Collierville

        In 1844 Salem Presbyterian Church was established in southeast Shelby County. It remained there until 1871 and then relocated to Collierville. The name was changed to Presbyterian Church ...

        • shelby county
        • tennessee

        Bolton School

        Bolton College operated as an agricultural school and teachers preparatory school from 1887 until 1911 when it became associated with the Shelby County public school system. In 1925 it was converted ...

        • shelby county
        • tennessee

        Memphis

        Founded 1819, by Andrew Jackson, John Overton and James Winchester; the latter named it. Incorporated, 1826, population less than 500 & area less than 1 sq. mi. It has since its original foundation ...

        • shelby county
        • tennessee

        Big Bend Nat'l Park Chisos Basin

        Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 - Jan 22, 1930 He laid the foundations of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved ...

        • mather
        • big bend
        • texas

        The first casualty when war comes is truth

        THE FIRST CASUALTY WHEN WAR COMES IS TRUTH  IN MEMORY OF THE JOURNALISTS AND MEDIA WORKERS KILLED HERE SINCE JUNE 1991 DURING THE WAR IN THE REPUBLIC OF BOSNI-HERZEGOVINA AND OTHER STATES ...

        • sarajevo
        • war
        • truth

        Volunteer Engineers

        In Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. On the 15th November, 1860 A public meeting was held on this site, Then the Duke of Rothesay Hotel, at which A Corps of Volunteer engineers was ...

        • melbourne
        • corps of royal ...