Verda was named for the daughter of the town's first postmaster, Uriah E. DeWitt. Formerly known as College Hill, Verda's 19th century origins centered on the efforts of area farmers to establish a school for their families. Beginning as a local home school, Verda grew to become a parish high school that served as a center for community and educational events in Grant Parish. The school hosted annual regional basketball tournaments and from the 1930s to 1966 served as the site of the parish fair.
Important dates in Verda's education history:
1879-1st school in J.M. Wilson home; teacher Pleasant McManus
1882 -1st log house school.
1891-1st schoolhouse constructed named Farmer's Union College.
1893 - Farmer's Union College bought by Verda College Stock Co.
1906 - School placed under the Grant Parish School Board.
1910 - First accredited high school graduates.
1914 -1st schoolhouse replaced with two -story brick building
1957 - 1914 schoolhouse replaced
1971 - Verda High School became Verda Elementary