The commissary was the social heart of any lumber or logging town. It handled all the necessities of life and also served as a meeting place for the various families, and off duty workers.
Inside this building were basically only three rooms, the main store, the storage area in the rear and the small coffee shop in the far corner.
The coffee shop, being built in 1948 is a reminder of the racial segregation laws that were in effect in the southern states at the time. Black workers entered by a side door, ordered their food, and then went outside to eat. White workers ordered and ate inside at either the lunch counter or a pair of tables along the wall.