In 1838, Bishop Antoine Blanc established the first parish for the Creole Faubourgs or suburbs comprising the Third Municipal District of New Orleans. He named the new parish after the secondary patron of the Diocese, St. Vincent De Paul. The architect Louis Reynolds designed the present church in 1866 during the pastorate of Fr. E.J. Foltier (1864-1878). Achille Paretti painted the murals adorning the interior. Among pastors of this parish were Fr. Arthur Drossaerts (1892-1903), later Archbishop of San Antonio, and auxiliary Bishop Jean M. Laval (1911-1937). Since 1963 The Oblates of St. Francis De Sales have ministered here.