American Indians frequented this
area, rich in natural resources.
The ravine provided water from
natural springs, marl for lime, and
clay for bricks for nineteenth-
century residents of Attica,
platted 1825. City became owner
of ravine 1906 when local
business and professional men
organized to donate fifty-five
acres for a public park.
(Continued on other side)
City purchased thirty-five
additional acres 1911, adding to
eastern end. Park has served as
center for social and recreational
activities. Attica Chautauqua
entertained many here 1907-1928.
Donations, grants, and volunteers
over the years have added
swimming pool, nature trail, bridges,
and other structures improving
park as community asset.