This small rural church was organized in 1868 by John A. Fuller with about twelve members. Early worship services were held at the Methodist church building and in local schoolhouse. Joseph Givens, for whom the surrounding community was named, donated the land at this site for church use, and the first permanent sanctuary consisting of one large room, was constructed in 1870. Summer revivals were held outdoors under a brush arbor. For nearly one hundred years, baptisms were held in local ponds and cotton gin pools.