Dedicated on November 23, 1986, the Pinecote Pavilion was built by the family of L.O. Crosby, Jr. (1907-1978) as a memorial to his legacy. Crosby was a noted forestry figure, philanthropist, and civic leader who held a deep love for nature. Designed by the world-renowned architect E. Fay Jones, the cathedral-like structure rises in harmony with the nearby towering longleaf pines. In 1990, the pavilion received the prestigious Honor Award for Design Excellence from the American Institute of Architects.