Organized as a Scandinavian congregation in 1868, Our Saviour’s became a Danish church in 1875 and served the American Evangelical Lutheran Synod until 1962. First used for worship in 1869, the building escaped damage in the Fire of 1871 and was completed with the addition of the tower in 1888. Danish architectural features are present, particularly the weather vane-topped spire, and the Danish language was used in services until [the] mid-twentieth century. Our Saviour’s is now a museum of Danish life in America.
Plaque via Michigan History Center