Hancock County Bank opened on October 9, 1899. Weeks later the bank's board of directors purchased this property at the corner of Main Street and South Beach as the site of a new headquarters. Bay St. Louis's first two-story brick building, the bank was constructed by John T. McDonald and completed in September 1900. The building later housed a post office and a United States customs office. It was renovated after suffering extensive damage from Hurricane Camille in 1969 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005.