A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible.

Founding of Parry Sound

About 1857 James and William Gibson erected a sawmill at the mouth of the Seguin River. William Beatty, with his sons James and William, acquired the mill in 1863, and the following year were granted a licence of occupation for some 800 ha. In addition to lumbering, they laid out a town plot, promoted settlement, opened a store, built a church, constructed roads, and operated boats on Lake Huron and a stage service to Bracebridge. William "Governor" Beatty (1835-1898) lived here and managed the family's enterprises which stimulated the growth of Parry Sound. Incorporated as a town in 1887, it was named in honour of Sir William Edward Parry, noted Arctic explorer.


Plaque via Alan L. Brown's site Ontario Plaques. Full page here.

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps