This Baptist church, the first in Port Neches, organized in October of 1910. Twelve charter members held Baptist services in a one-room schoolhouse. These church founders were Mr. & Mrs. John Livingston, Mr. Horace Livingston, Mr. & Mrs. R.E. Rachford, Mr. & Mrs. D.A. Bibbs, Mr. & Mrs. Gillie Peveto, Mr. Arthur K. Peveto, Mrs. Abbie Block and Mr. Ollie Williams. In 1914, Mrs. R.E. Rachford donated property at the corner of Dearing Street and Avenue B for the construction of the church’s first building, which was completed in 1917. W.H. Fortney became the church’s first full-time pastor in 1918, and during his tenure, the frame building was removed from the property to make way for a newer, larger brick sanctuary that was completed in 1927. A devastating fire destroyed the 1927 structure on January 10, 1940, and all early church records were lost. A replacement frame building was constructed on the site in 1941, but the congregation voted to purchase property on Magnolia Avenue in 1946; services were first held at the new location in June, 1957.
Church programs include Sunday school, vacation bible school, youth activities and bible study. Expansion and renovations to the church plant have allowed the church to continue its mission in the community. Adult and student mission trips, sponsorship of Woodcrest Mission (1969-1983), and support of new churches are part of the mission emphasis of the church. Today, First Baptist Church of Port Neches continues to serve as a spiritual and social beacon to its congregants and to others in Port Neches and surrounding areas.