The plaque is on top of a bell; its text reads:
"HISTORIC FIRE BELL FROM STATION No. 4 LOCATED AT 4TH AND BATTERY STREET IN THE 1800's PRIOR TO THE FIRST DENNY REGRADE - THIS BELL SOUNDED OUT THE FIRE ALARMS TO ALL THE STATIONS IN THE NORTH END AREA AND QUEEN ANNE HILL BY MEANS OF AREA CODE AND BOX NUMBER - THE HORSE DRAWN ENGINE THEN RESPONDED TO THE LOCATION - THE SOUND OF THE BELL COULD BE HEARD FOR NEARLY TEN MILES"
It's located in front of the fire station on 4th Avenue. The plaque was erected by the Seattle Historic Society.