Built in 1900 as the winter home of Isaac L. Ellwood (1833-1910), principal developer of barbed wire. Architects G. C. Nimmons and W. K. Fellows, of Chicago, designed the house in a classic revival style with a raised Roman Doric portico. The name was derived from a planned, but unrendered, series of courtyard frescoes of Bacchanalian motif, reminiscent of ancient Pompeii.
Port Arthur pioneer G. M. Craig lived here from 1903 until 1950.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places