Of the original four mounds located at the Cary site, only Mound A survives. Located on the south side of Deer Creek, the mound was built on top of a midden deposit containing ceramic and animal bone artifacts as well as a fragment of a stone palette. Beneath the midden, archaeologists discovered the remains of two large posts. Both the mound and the midden at Cary site date to the Late Mississippi Period, ca. AD 1400-1600, and are contemporary with the nearby Arcola and Rolling Fork Mounds.