The carriage entrance façade of Wing B-the first addition to the Museum-was completed by the architect-engineer Theodore Weston in 1888. It was used as the main entrance of the Museum until the completion of the Richard Morris Hunt wing on Fifth Avenue in 1902. The Renaissance Revival style, in- spired by the architecture of sixteenth-century Italian palaces, gave an appropriate sense of antiquity to the building. A grand staircase with two large torchères, led from the carriage drive to the door. The staircase was removed to create the present sculpture court.
Submitted by @lampbane