Painter, designer, and poet, J.E.H. MacDonald was a founding member of the Group of Seven and a key figure in the emergence of a national style of painting the Canadian landscape. A...
In 1865 Joseph Simpson established Toronto Knitting and Yarn Mills. His factory on this site opened in 1871. By 1893 the firm employed 200 workers with Simpson's sons, Ernest and Rupert,...
This residence was constructed as part of the estate of publisher John B. Maclean, founder of Maclean's magazine. The main house was never completed and this, the intended gatehouse,...
John Joseph Wright introduced electric lighting to Toronto and pioneered the development and use of Canada's first electric street railways. Mr. Wright went on to a distinguished career as...
Jacob Cummer (Kummer) and his wife Elizabeth, emigrants from Pennsylvania and among the earliest settlers in Willowdale, established themselves on this site along Yonge Street in 1797. A...
On this site, ca. 1450 A.D., stood a prehistoric Iroquois village. The settlement, which covered about 2 ha, was probably palisaded and included several longhouses. David Boyle, later...
J.J.R. Macleod lived here from 1919 to 1928. Born in Scotland, Macleod joined the staff of the University of Toronto as professor of physiology in 1918. In research conducted through...
Publisher and philanthropist, John Ross Robertson lived in this house, 1881-1918. He was born in Toronto and while at Upper Canada College he started The College Times, the first school newspaper...
Designed in the Second Empire style, this landmark building features a mansard roof with dormers and rich detailing in stone and wood. From its completion until 1894, it was the private residence...
Weston is distinguished by many retaining walls constructed from Humber River stone. One man, skilled stonemason James Gilbert Gove, built a number of these walls, as well as a war memorial in...
You are now standing in the middle of what was once the Toronto Locomotive and Car Facilities of the Canadian Pacific Railway. These facilities were built in 1929 to service the 75 CPR...
This is the site of the homestead of Joseph and Sarah Sheard which they cleared from the forest, and where they raised their seven children. Joseph Sheard (1813-83) arrived in York (Toronto)...
In 1856, Jesse Ketchum, tanner and philanthropist, donated this land to the Village of Yorkville for a public park and as a site for a "Free and Common School". The school erected at that time,...
This house was built for prominent businessman John F. Taylor, a descendant of one of East York's founding families. Designed in the Queen Anne Revival style by Toronto architect David B....
One of Canada's outstanding reformers and parliamentarians, Woodsworth was born here on "Applewood" farm. Educated at universities in Winnipeg, Toronto and Oxford, England, he served as a...
July 14, 1996Jeff Krosnoff 1964-1996 "Stay Hungry"Gary Avrin 1952-1996In memory of Jeff Krosnoff and Gary Avrin who lost their lives in a racing accident during the final laps of the 1996 Molson...
Jean Lumb was born Jean (Toy Jin) Wong in British Columbia, and came to Toronto in 1935. She was soon operating a profitable fruit store and, by 1959, she co-owned the well-reputed Kwong...
The area known as 'The Junction' lies along an ancient Indigenous Peoples' trade route that followed the shoreline of what was once Lake Iroquois from modern-day Detroit to Montreal. In 1817,...
Jean Gertrude Davidson, known throughout her life as True, moved to East York in 1947, where she became actively involved in her new community. Her energetic and enthusiastic support for...
James Weir (1814-1897) came to Scarborough in 1833 from Lesmahagow Parish, Scotland. A staunch loyalist, he assisted in the dispersion of the rebels under William Lyon Mackenzie in 1837. He was an...