Fort York constituted the primary defensive position in early York (Toronto). The present buildings, erected between 1813 and 1815 to replace those destroyed during the American occupations of...
The Federation of the Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was first located on this site, in a house shared with a Jewish orphanage. Established in 1917 to more effectively raise and distribute funds...
On 24th September, 1905, James Henry Fleming placed band No. 1 on the foot of a robin in his garden at 267 Rusholme Road, Toronto. This was the first wild bird in Canada to be marked with...
Foster Hewitt began his career as a reporter for the Toronto Star but soon moved to radio. On March 22, 1923 he broadcast from the Mutual Street Arena one of the first hockey games ever aired...
Settlers were attracted to this vicinity in the 1790s by the area's rich timber resources and the water power potential of the Humber River here. By 1792 a sawmill was established on the west...
The congregation was formed in Toronto in 1845 and moved to a new church completed on this site in 1854. Members of the congregation have enriched the life of this city and nation. Dr....
In 1911 the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), active in Toronto since 1878, built this meeting house. It was designed in the classical style by John A. McKenzie, Architect. The Quakers...
In 1849 the Trustees of the Toronto Hebrew Congregation purchased a site in Toronto from the Hon. John Beverley Robinson for the first Jewish cemetery west of Montreal. Regular religious services...
This elegant house was built for financier, art collector, and philanthropist, Frank P. Wood. Situated on a 12 ha property along what was then known as "Millionaires' Valley", Wood's home...
Sculptors Frances Loring (1887-1968) and Florence Wyle (1881-1968) were born in the United States mid-west. They met in 1907 while art students in Chicago, and moved to Toronto in 1913. Their...
This brick fire hose tower represents a partial reconstruction of North York's first fire hall, which once stood proudly on the east side of Yonge Street near Empress Avenue. It was named in...
This elegant frontspiece once served as the front entrance to North York's first municipal hall which officially opened on December 19, 1923 at the southeast corner of Yonge Street and...
In 1950, in Room 64 of the Banting Institute at the University of Toronto, Drs. Wilfred Bigelow and John Callaghan successfully paced the heart of a dog using an external electronic...
This property sits on the ecologically sensitive, geologically significant Scarborough Bluffs that display sediments left by glaciers over 70,000 years ago during the last phase of the...
Shortly after her birth in Russia, Fanny Rosenfeld's family immigrated to Canada, settling in Barrie, Ontario. Fanny (known as Bobbie) excelled at basketball, softball and hockey. She later held...
In 1820 the first theatrical performance made up entirely of local actors took place in the ballroom on the second floor of Frank's Hotel that once stood on this spot. The play performed...
European settlement began in this area shortly after the War of 1812. Alexander Milne, a Scottish weaver, arrived here with his family in 1817. Milne's farm and mill operation prospered for over a...
Elsie Macgill was the first woman graduate in engineering from the University of Toronto in 1927 and the first female member of the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario....
On April 2, 1957, Elvis Presley came to Maple Leaf Gardens, and it's fair to say that Torontonians - at least the older generation - didn't know what hit them. The 22-year-old Presley was just a...
Early Don MillsThough now known as a modern suburban development, Don Mills was once the site of a small farming community. Prior to that, aboriginal communities used the nearby branches of the...