Before you is part of the red-brick façade of Eden Court, a farmhouse built for Edward Stock in 1886. Originally, the home featured round-arched windows decreasing in size on each storey,...
The British Army began regular meteorological and magnetic observations on this campus in 1840, stimulating colonial society's fascination with science. After the Province of Canada took over the...
The area behind the Don Jail was once divided into three exercise yards for inmates. In this 1956 photograph, the exercise yards are behind the brick wall on the right.Before penal reform in...
Humanitarians, Retail Innovators, Arts AdvocatesEd and Anne Mirvish, two of Toronto's most beloved and celebrated citizens were married in 1941 and through a strong commitment to family, enjoyed...
John Ewart was the first president of the York Mechanics' Institute which became the Toronto Public Library. Born in Scotland in 1788, he became a contractor in the Town of York, building such...
At the beginning of the last great Ice Age, 120,000 years ago, Toronto lay beneath an ice- sheet more than 2 kilometres high. As the glacier retreated the meltwater created an inland sea, twice as...
Born in France in 1595, arrived in Quebec in 1608. With a genius for exploration, Brûlé, from Lake Huron, thence to Lake Simcoe and southward made the Humber his route to Lake Ontario in 1615....
In 1873, Robert Davies, the third son of one of the most prominent families in the history of Toronto brewing, established the Dominion Brewery and built on this site in 1878. At its peak in...
You now stand at the intersection of two ancient "shared paths", each thousands of years older than the nearby modern highways. One route travelled along the shifting shoreline of Lake Ontario....
The "Beaver" was developed in 1946 at Downsview under P.C. Garratt of DeHavilland Canada for flying in the Canadian north. The single engine, high wing monoplane, built for bush work,...
Designed by Toronto architect Henry Langley, this building was constructed as a boys school operated by the Brothers of the Christian Schools, a Catholic teaching order. The Brothers had purchased...
Beneath the winding course of Davenport Road lies hidden an ancient trail created by Aboriginal peoples. The trail linked their settlements with hunting and fishing grounds, and with trade...
This block of dolostone, a magnesium-rich variety of limestone, was found buried in boulder-studded clay about 10 metres below the surface during the excavation of the Yonge Street subway in...
Dr. John G.C. Adams is regarded as the father of public health dentistry in Canada. His Methodist faith inspired him to become Canada's first resident dental missionary. He funded and operated the...
In 1897, Walter Massey, President of Massey-Harris Company, purchased about 100 ha of land to establish an experimental farm. Walter named the farm "Dentonia Park" after his wife, Susan...
Two of the greatest and most flamboyant political careers in Canada's history reached watershed moments at Maple Leaf Gardens, one drawing to a humiliating close, the other seeming to gain...
Don Mills was planned as a model town that would humanize urban life in an age of industry and the automobile. Initiated and financed by businessman E.P. Taylor and designed by Macklin Hancock,...
Architect J. Francis Brown designed this house in the Queen Anne Revival style for Dr. Garon Cleland. In 1959, it was converted into a seniors residence operated jointly by the Toronto...
This part of the Don Valley was first permanently settled in 1825 by the Gray family, who farmed and operated some of the original 'Don Mills', including a gristmill, sawmill and distillery....
The Don Jail is one of Toronto's most important mid-nineteenth-century public buildings. Located on a hill then outside City boundaries, it was constructed with exacting craftsmanship according to...