In the spring of 1854 young Eli Lilly began a five year apprenticeship with Henry Lawrence, proprietor of the Good Samaritan Drug Store, at this location. While in Lafayette, Eli became a second sergeant in "The Lafayette Guards". He returned to his home in Greencastle, Indiana, in 1860. On May 10, 1876, Eli Lilly opened a small drug manufacturing business in downtown Indianapolis.
Erected by the Eli Lilly Co. and the Tippecanoe County Historical Association
Submitted by: Stephen Sostaric