This last remaining original Edwardian tramway pole was part of the first electric tram route in Dunedin, opened to the public on 24 December 1903. Subsequent extensions gave the city a comprehensive and very successful passenger service which served the citizens until it’s closure in 1956.
This system was the first city council owned and operated electric tramway system in New Zealand.
The conservation and restoration of this historic pole in 2006 recognised the outstanding service given to the people of Dunedin by the electric tramcars and the staff who operated the service has n all weather and circumstances.
[Seal of the Dunedin City Council]