A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible.

The Snickersville Academy

THE SNICKERSVILLE ACADEMY Across the road, the path leads to the Snickersville Academy, Bluemont's first school and church. In 1825 Amos and Elizabeth Clayton sold, for a


THE
SNICKERSVILLE ACADEMY

Across the road, the path leads to the Snickersville
Academy, Bluemont's first school and church. In
1825 Amos
and
Elizabeth Clayton sold, for a
"consideration" of $1, one-half acre of land to five
neighbors acting as trustees. They built a log
structure and hired a teacher, setting tuition at
$3 per semester. It was a "Free Church" until
Bluemont's stone church was built around 1851. It
served as a school through the turmoil of the Civil
War, briefly becoming a public school in 1870,
until the multi-classroom Mountain Shadow School
opened in 1872 on Snickersville Turnpike.
FRIENDS OF BLUEMONT

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps