ST. CLAIR HOSPITAL
In 1911 local doctors founded the St. Clair Hospital.
The home adjacent to the hospital served as
residence home and training school for nurses. In
1940. the hospital was converted Into a convalescent
home. In 1948, Mr. and Mrs. William J. Garrett, an
African-American couple, transformed the facility
Into a hotel. The Hotel St. Clair, which closed in
1976. accommodated African Americans who were
not permitted to stay In white hotels. It also
served as a social gathering place for members of
Columbus black community.
2006-2007 MONROE 8TH GRADE GIFTED AND TALENTED CLASS
THE INGRAM -WHITE CASTLE FOUNDATION
THE OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY