The original jail was a wooden structure built in 1859. It was replaced in 1891 with this brick structure which is typical of rural jails built during this period in southeast Alabama and southwest Georgia counties. The commissioners in 1890 - 1891 were: J.E. Harris, Dr. P.M. Bledsoe, J.P. Kimble and W.A. Cumbie, Judge of Superior Court: James H. Guerry; Ordinary M.L. Albritton; Clerk of Court: G.A. Whitaker; Quitman County´s First Sheriff was Sam Guerry.
Erected by Historic Chattahoochee Commission 1980
Plaque courtesy Lat34North.com.
Original page, with additional info, here.
Photo credit: Ken Moser.