A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible.

Colonel Short’s Villa

Built in 1859 for Colonel Robert H. Short of Kentucky, commission merchant, Henry Howard, architect, Robert Huyghe, builder.
In 1832 this property, which was part of the Lavaudais Plantation was subdivided into city squares. September 1, 1863 the house was seized by the federal forces occupying the city as property of an absent rebel.

In March 1864 the house briefly served as the executive mansion of the newly elected federal governor of Louisiana, Michael Hahn. It then became the residence of Major General Nathaniel P. Banks, U.S. Commander, Department of the Gulf.
On August 15, 1865 the house was returned to Colonel Short by the U.S. Government and he lived in it until his death in 1890.
An addition was made in 1906 and the house was restored in 1950.
The unusual cast iron morning-glory and cornstalk fence was furnished by the Philadelphia Foundry of Wood and Miltenberger.

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps