Here in the Central High building
Completed in 1896 was founded in
1917 Detroit Junior College from
which grew a College of Liberal Arts.
It united with other colleges, some
begun here and some bearing notable
histories in other parts of the city,
to form a municipal institution. which
in 1934 was named Wayne University.
The oldest college, that of Medicine,
began in 1868. Wayne, with its ten
colleges and schools. was sustained
by the people of Detroit through
their Board of Education until 1956,
When it became a State University.
MICHIGAN HISTORICAL COMMISSION REGISTERED SITE NO [116?]