Lecompte began as a trading post on land claimed by Pascogoula Biloxi Indian Tribes living along Bayou Boeuf. Two area men, Fulton and Miller, traded extensively with the Indians who became indebted to them. To pay the debt the tribes agreed to sell their land to Fulton/Miller who resold the valuable land to planters (c. 1819). The post flourished and in 1900 with 1000 people was declared a village and a town in 1904 with 1500 people. Lecompte became a center of activity in south Rapides Parish with businesses and excellent medical services.