In 1883, the town of Rayne was incorporated and J.D. Bernard served as its first mayor. The Bernard residence stands today as one of Rayne's few remaining early structures. Originally located on West South 1st. St., it was purchased by E.J. Bertrand, the first operator of Rayne's Municipal Power Plant. The home was moved to its current location by the City of Rayne to make it more accessible to the public.