In 1823 the first Church of St. Mary of False River was built, and at that time a cross was erected on the banks of False River. It stood on this spot for many years as a sign to all of the life won for us by Christ. The cross which stands here today was erected in 1983, 160 years later, in thanksgiving for our Lord's redemption of mankind and in gratitude for all the blessings we have received as a Christian community. In the Nineteenth Century this area was known as La Place de la Croix (The Square or the Place of the Cross). May our Lord's Cross and Resurrection always find it's place in our homes and lives.