A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Memorial The Reverend James Reed

MEMORIAL 
THE REVEREND JAMES REED

FIRST RECTOR OF CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 1753-1777. HE LED IN 
ESTABLISHING A SCHOOL IN NEW BERN IN 1764 WHICH BY AN ACT OF 
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY IN 1766 BECAME THE FIRST INCORPORATED SCHOOL 
IN THE PROVINCE. THE FIRST SCHOOL BUILDING WAS COMPLETED IN 1768 
ON THE CORNER OF NEW AND HANCOCK STREETS. THE SCHOOL WAS 
REORGANIZED AFTER THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR IN 1784 AS THE NEW 
BERN ACADEMY. THE PRESENT ACADEMY BUILDING, COMPLETED IN 1810 ON 
THE ORIGINAL SITE, SERVED NEW BERN'S CHILDREN FOR MORE THAN 150 
YEARS.

THE REVEREND MR. REED DIED IN 1777. HIS GRAVE IS LOCATED IN 
CHRIST CHURCH CHURCHYARD BESIDE THE MIDDLE STREET FENCE.

THE GRAVE OF THOMAS TOMLINSON, 1732-1802, FIRST SCHOOLMASTER OF 
THE FIRST SCHOOL, IS IN CEDAR GROVE CEMETERY ON THE LEFT OF THE 
PATH AT THE MAIN ENTRANCE ON QUEEN STREET.

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps