This residence Hall was opened in 1965. It bears the name of Albert Matthews, whose service to McMaster University includes membership on the Board of Governors for more than forty years, beginning in 1908. He was Chairman of the Board for much of this time, including a period of difficult financial and other problems associated with the removal of the University from Toronto to Hamilton in 1930.
From 1937 to 1946 Mr. Matthews had the honour of being Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario.
The Matthews Tower of McMaster Divinity College was erected in his memory by members of his family.
Submitted by Owen Anderson