A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Le château de Monceau

Histoire de Paris - Le château de Monceau

Au XIVe siècle, le château était une ferme fortifiée dont on pourrait situer l'entrée principale sur l'acutelle place Lévis. Au cours des siècles, il passa de mains en mains par le jeu des alliances. En 1429, Jeanne d'Arc, reçue par Huguelin Axrode au retour du sacre de Charles VII à Reims, y passa une nuit et repartit le 8 septembre à l'aube assiéger la capitale. En 1532 le seigneur de Monceau, Etienne Desfriche, fit bâtir la chapelle Saint-Etienne qui les dispensait, lui et tous les habitants du hameau, d'assister aux offices de l'église paroissiale de Clichy. Sous la Révolution, la propriété fut morcelée et la chapelle vendue comme bien national (1796). Rendue au culte quelques années plus tard, elle fut démolie en 1828 après l'inauguration de Ste-Marie des Batignoles.

Translation :

History of Paris - Caslte of Monceau

In the XVIth century, the castle was a fortified farm of which we could locate the main entrance on the actual Lévis place. Over the centuries, it went from owner to owner following the game of alliances. In 1429, Joan of Arc, welcomed by Huguelin Axrode after the crowning of Charles VII in Reims, spent a night in and left September 8th at sunrise to besiege the capital city. In 1532, the lord of Monceau, Etienne Desfriche, built the Saint-Etienne chapel which exempted him and the hamlet residents to go to the church of Clichy. During the Revolution, the property was partitioned and the chapel sold as a national good (1796). Given back to the cult some years later, it was demolished in 1828 after the inauguration of Ste-Marie of the Batignoles.

Submited by : Syc

 

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps