The sculptures featured on
this building were created by
John Cavanaugh Foundation
This and several of the neighboring townhouses built around 1885 were restored by sculptor John Cavanaugh and his partner, Philip Froeder in the 1970s. At that time, the Dupont Circle was not the toney area it is now.
See also similar plaque and embedded sculptures on 1736 Corcoran Street, NW.
Pics of the sculptures and more info: http://www.notfortourists.com/Features.aspx?id=311
Info from the John Cavanaugh Foundation (housed in 1742 Corcoran St. now): http://www.cavanaughfoundation.org/aboutjohncavanaugh.php
See article, Studio Theatre Apprentices Will be Corcoran Street Neighbors Starting in Fall, on page 1 and continued on page 17 of this 2006 neighborhood newsletter that includes a before and after photo of 1736 Corcoran: http://thesitehub.com/InTowner_archive/2006October.pdf