The picnic area on US 80 in Harrison County is an early roadside park developed by the Texas Highway Department -- now Texas Department of Transportation. Constructed in the early 1940's, this park features stone masonry picnic features and entry columns. The Texas Highway Department launched its roadside park program in 1933 to provide safe places for motorists to relax and eat during their travels. Native stone and plantings were often used to create a natural park atmosphere. Today, hundreds of picnic areas and rest areas dot Texas' Highways, continuing the state's legacy of safe and convenient roadside parks. In order to preserve its historic character and significance, this picnic area may not fully comply with the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act.