This county was named for General Charles Gratiot, builder of Fort Gratiot at Port Huron in 1814. A few Chippewas and other Indians lived in the area in 1831 when the county was laid out. A Lutheran Indian mission was set up in 1846 near what is now St. Louis. Settling of the county began in the same year. In 1856 the county government was organized, Ithaca being selected as county seat. Agriculture and industry combine to give Gratiot County a stable economy.
Plaque via Michigan History Center