A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

German Prisoner of War Camp

Located 1 mile west is the site of a W.W. II prisoner-of-war camp. Formerly a 1930s Civilian Conservation Corps camp, the low-security P.O.W. camp opened October 14, 1943. It held captured German soldiers of the Afrikacorps who worked in the area sugar cane fields. Area citizens remember them for their friendly behavior.

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps