A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

City of Kenner

Named for Kenner brothers George R., Minor, Duncan Farrar, & William Butler, who acquired Oakland, Pasture, & Belle Grove plantations, 1830s-40s. Area subdivided in 1855 as Kennerville with arrival ...

Named for Kenner brothers George R., Minor, Duncan Farrar, & William Butler, who acquired Oakland, Pasture, & Belle Grove plantations, 1830s-40s. Area subdivided in 1855 as Kennerville with arrival of railroad. Replaced colonial name of Cannes Brûlées. Incorporated as town in 1867 & as city in 1873. Charter repealed in 1908. Reincorporated as village in 1913 with Antoine E. Wattigny as first mayor. Became a town in 1914 & a city in 1952. Home rule charter effected 1974. Home to international airport since 1946.

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps