A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Chester Depot

CHESTER DEPOT

The first public train arrived here on July 18,
1849, and in December, the Rutland & Burlington
Railroad opened the first rail line across Vermont
linking the Connecticut River valley at Bellows
Falls and Lake Champlain at Burlington. The route
passed between Chester's older North and South
villages, and Chester Depot village emerged. Fire
destroyed the first station in 1871, and the lessee
Vermont Central RR built this one that year. By
the 1890s, several industrial and commercial
enterprises made Chester Depot one of the busiest
stations on the Rutland Rr. The State purchased
the line in 1963, leasing it in part to the Green
Mountain RR. Exceptional in Vermont, this brick
station retains its high-style Italianate design
and continues in railroad use.

VERMONT DIVISION FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION - 2015


Submitted by @LostToHistory

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps