The motor-powered boat that replaced the skiff in the basin was the bateau. It was also commonly called a "gas-boat," " joe-boat," and a " john-boat." It is a long, heavy, flat-bottomed boat, with a blunt bow and stern, steered with a rudder and propelled by a single cylinder inboard motor. It is not known when the first bateaus were used in the basin, but a "gas-boat" was advertised for sale in Morgan City in 1907. This boat description fits that of bateaus advertised for sale in 1908. By 1922 there were 672 gasoline-powered boats in the basin, and probably most of these were bateaus. The bateau was used primarily' in river and late fishing. Decline in popularity of bateaus corresponded with the rise in popularity of outboard motors in the 1950's. The internal combustion engine used in the bateau was usually of two, four, or eight horsepower, with large piston and a slow but powerful engine.