City Hall, 524 W. 4th Avenue, Anchorage
Submitted by: Sarah J. Martin.
The doors of city hall were first opened on November 15, 1936. The building, which originally contained the city’s administrative offices, library, jail, and fire department, was made possible in 1935 through the passage of a bond issue and the assistance of the U.S. Public Works Administration. Construction of this Depression-era building was started under Mayor Oscar S. Gill and completed under Mayor Herbert E. Brown. A local architect, E. Ellsworth Sedille, drew the plans for the facility which were carried out by the Castineau Construction Company. The building was restored in 1975 under the administration of Mayor George M. Sullivan. With the encouragement of Mayor Sullivan and the Historic Landmarks Preservation Commission, Alaska Pacific Bank renovated city hall for use as a branch bank and various civic offices. The renovation was completed and its doors were again opened to the pubic in January 1981. City hall has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The block on which the City Hall is located is associated with the original townsite plan, laid out in 1915 by Captain Frederick Mears of the Alaska Engineering Commission and Andrew Christensen of the General Land Office.
This classically-inspired Modern building was part of the second generation of construction in Anchorage.
National Register of Historic Places nomination (1980): https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/AssetDetail?assetID=d02b0a79-6538-43cf-b5cb-c0c3b7bbad34