A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Aa

CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK
designated in 1987

SHATTUCK HOTEL,
J.F. HINK & SON DEPARTMENT STORE

Benjamin G. McDougall, Architect
1909 and 1913
Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr., Architect
1926

Berkeley’s first grand hotel, promoted as "The Finest Family Hotel in the City," was
built in 1910 by wealthy philanthropist Rosa Shattuck in memory of her husband,
Francis Kittredge Shattuck, a prominent developer and civic leader. This reinforced
concrete and steel building was designed by the architect of the nearby YMCA
building, Benjamin McDougall. The Mediterranean Style of the building is
apparent in its square corner turrets and arched windows. A second phase of
construction more than tripled the size of the original six-story building,
with 300 "Splendidly Furnished" rooms. For more than seven
decades Hink’s department store, with its covered arcade built
in 1926, occupied the largest ground floor space in
the addition.

Berkeley Historical Plaque Project

2012

 

 

Nearby Plaques On Google Maps