A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Croydon Fountain

This Fountain was inaugurated by Her Majesty the Queen on the occasion of the Charter Centenary : 21st June 1983 and was given to Croydon by The Nestle Company Limited Submitted by @invertiert

  • her majesty the...
  • croydon
  • nestle company
  • fountain

Home of Martin Luther King, Jr.

This house, built in 1884, was the home of Martin Luther King, Jr. in 1952-53 while he was enrolled in the Graduate School of Boston University. The building was rehabilitated in 1987 by the ...

  • boston
  • mlk
  • boston universi...
  • civil rights
  • 1884
  • 1952

Parapet Promenade

PARAPET PROMENADE IN MEMORY OF ADDA AND PAUL SAFRAN BY JORDAN PYNES, LINDSAY SAFRAN AND TOM SAFRAN

    Grays River Covered Bridge

    Submitted by @Ritterton

    • covered bridge
    • gray's river

    Goulburn Weir

    Submitted by @markfilops

    • conveys water
    • weir
    • canal
    • goulburn
    • murray

    Monocoupe D-145

    Monocoupe D-145 ca. 1941 This Monocoupe D-145 was one of the last airplanes produced by Monocoupe before the outbreak of World War II. The Monocoupe Aircraft Corporation, founded in Bettendorf, ...

    • louisiana
    • aviation

    Golden Gate Park Carousel

      Boundary Line

      From the Flickr group Historical Markers, photo by WashuOtaku, full page.License is Attribution- ShareAlike License

        Pere Marquette Railway Depot

        Completed in 1921 for the Pere Marquette Railway, this depot is typical of the railroad stations that served Michigan towns during the early decades of the twentieth century. The depot replaced an ...

        • michigan
        • michigan histor...

        Lipson Lake

        From the Flickr group Historical Markers, photo by chrisinplymouth, full page.License is Attribution- NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

          Waldenses

          From the Flickr group Historical Markers, photo by WashuOtaku, full page.License is Attribution- NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

            Ernest M. Hemingway, Class of 1917

            From the Flickr group Historical Markers, photo by Crawford Brian, full page.License is Attribution- NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

              Nun of the Above

              IN MEMORY OF EVERY NUM OF THE ABOVE SISTERS OF PERPETUAL INDULGENCE

                Blue Star Memorial HIghway

                  Great White Cherry

                  • sister city
                  • osaka
                  • san francisco

                  Mill Bay Laundry

                  From the Flickr group Historical Markers, photo by chrisinplymouth, full page.License is Attribution- NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

                    Mackinac Conference

                    On September 6, 1943, Michigan’s Republican United States senator, Arthur H. Vandenberg, chaired the meeting of the Post War Advisory Council. Republican National Committee chairman Harrison Spangler ...

                    • michigan
                    • michigan histor...

                    A Tree for You and Me

                      The Cape Ray Telegraph Cable

                      From the Flickr group Historical Markers, photo by HystericalMark, full page.License is Attribution- ShareAlike License

                        World's Largest Limestone Quarry

                        Limestone is a mineral raw material essential in making steel, chemicals, and cement. Henry H. Hindshaw, a geologist, established in 1908-09 the commercial value of this area’s limestone ...

                        • michigan
                        • michigan histor...

                        River Street

                          Gagetown / Gagetown

                          Brothers Joseph and James Gage immigrated from Canada in 1860. Joseph filed a homestead claim in Elmwood Township. In 1869, Joseph built a store and mill on his land. Two years later, he platted the ...

                          • michigan
                          • michigan histor...

                          Indian Landing- Charlton Park

                          In the early nineteenth century the Thornapple band of Ottawa Indians established a village a short distance from Thornapple Lake. It was served in the 1840s by a Methodist mission and ...

                          • michigan
                          • michigan histor...

                          Grant Water Tower

                          Among the last of the wooden water towers in Michigan, the Grant Water Tower was built beside the depot in 1891 by the Grand Rapids, Newaygo and Lakeshore Railroad. It cost $1,910 and could ...

                          • michigan
                          • michigan histor...

                          John C. Blanchard / John and Harriet Blanchard House

                          John Celsus Blanchard (1822-1905) epitomizes the American “self-made man.” He left his home in Cayuga County, New York, at age fourteen, bound for the western frontier. Blanchard worked as a laborer ...

                          • michigan
                          • michigan histor...