A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Site of the First Protestant Church in California

    The Founding of Baton Rouge

    The name Baton Rouge comes from the Indian word "Istrouma," meaning Red Stick.Earliest written records about Baton Rouge were provided by members of Iberville's expedition on March 17, ...

    • louisiana
    • baton rouge

    Site of the Weiss House

    On September 8, 1935, Dr. Carl Austin Weiss was living here with his family in a small frame cottage. About 9:30 that evening, U.S.Senator Huey P. Long was shot in the corridor just off the house ...

    • louisiana

    Site of Spanish Battery 1779

    Behind an orchard on a mound near this site artillerymen under Spanish Governor Bernardo Galvez placed a battery of six cannon and on September 21, 1779, after a three-hour bombardment, forced the ...

    • louisiana
    • revolutionary w...

    Lafayette Building

    One of the earliest remaining architecturally significant buildings in the city. Originally the residence of Judge Charles Tessier, first Probate Judge of East Baton Rouge Parish, who acquired ...

    • louisiana
    • baton rouge

    Blue Star Memorial Highway, Benicia

      Ealey Brothers

      The Ealey family of Sibley has produced some of the most talented musicians to emerge from the Natchez area. Brothers Theodis, YZ, and Melwyn Ealey performed together locally in the band YZ Ealey and ...

      • mississippi blu...

      Natchez City Cemetery

       Established in 1822 on a ten acre tract, this cemetery grew into a park notable for its variety of 19th century iron and marble work. People of all walks of life are buried within the cemetery.

      • mississippi cem...

      Coleman's Crossroads

      On July 4, 1864, a small brigade of Confederate cavalry under the command of Col. Robert C. Wood attacked a Union force composed of the Mississippi Marine Brigade and two regiments of United ...

      • mississippi
      • civil war

      Belles Lettres Building

      Ca. 1851. Neoclassic Revival. The origin of this structure is uncertain. It is generally assumed to be one of two buildings completed in 1851 for use by a campus literary society. Its architecture ...

      • mississippi
      • education

      Old Port Gibson to Rodney Road

      This road is the first established route from Port Gibson and Alcorn to Rodney, and was constructed in the early nineteenth century. Composed of loess soil, the old roadbed and roadside bluffs for ...

      • mississippi

      Billy Cannon - 1959 Heisman Memorial Trophy Winner

      Dr. Billy Cannon is among the most heralded and identifiable college football players in NCAA history and is largely responsible for the emergence of big-time football at LSU. Cannon, who was born in ...

      • louisiana
      • sports
      • football

      Bourgeois Famille

      Dedicated to the memory of our courageous Acadian ancestors who settled this area in the mid 1700's. Once buried here, most of their original graves have been lost to time and the river.Erected ...

      • louisiana

      Camp Moore

      One of the principal Louisiana Confederate induction centers and training camps during the war for southern independence. Named for Governor Thomas Overton Moore. Over 400 soldiers buried in the camp ...

      • louisiana
      • civil war

      Antonia Plantation

      A typical raised Creole Cottage, Antonia was an early 1800's working sugar plantation. Established through a 1793 Spanish Land Grant claimed by Pierre Lebert. Zephirin Blanchard married ...

      • louisiana
      • plantation

      The Old Saint Gabriel Church

      In 1699 Pierre Lemoyne, Sieur D'Iberville, father of Louisiana, explored the Mississippi and its distributary the Ascantia, later called Bayou Manchac. By 1758 exiled Acadians had settled at Manchac. ...

      • louisiana
      • church

      Battle of Baton Rouge, 1862

      On August 3, 1862, Confederate troops from Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana under General John C. Breckinridge attacked from the east in an unsuccessful attempt to dislodge ...

      • louisiana
      • civil war

      White's Chapel United Methodist Church

      Gothic Revival church built in 1894 by Hugh and Lee Evans on land donated by Wilson A. O'Quin, Sr. It was named in honor of Rev. Frederick White who organized it in 1870. Listed on the ...

      • louisiana
      • church

      Plaisance School

      Plaisance School was built in 1921 at a total cost of $4,500.00. Funds for construction were donated by Julius Rosenwald Fund - $1,200.00; the Plaisance black community - $3,100.00; and the ...

      • louisiana
      • african-america...

      Fogleman Cemetery - Typical Frontier Cemetery Dating From the Early 1800s

      John Fogleman, a native of Virginia, was in this area in 1816, a witness to his sister's wedding in the St. Landry Courthouse. He married Polly Sandefur there Jan. 1, 1819. On Nov. 28, 1853, ...

      • louisiana
      • cemetery

      Louisiana Orphan Train Museum

      In 2009, a former century old Union Pacific freight depot was restored to become the Louisiana Orphan Train Museum. Opelousas was one of the many railway destinations for thousands of ...

      • louisiana

      Venus House

      The Venus House was the first building to be relocated to Le Vieux Village in 1973. This French Creole style home was donated by the Earl Fontenot family. The home was originally located in the small ...

      • louisiana

      Alcorn Agricultural and Mechanical College

      Established May 13, 1871, as Alcorn Univ. of Miss on site of Oakland College. Hiram Revels, first president. Reorganized 1878 and Alcorn A.&M. Oldest land-grant college for Negroes in the United ...

      • mississippi
      • african-america...
      • education

      Union Church

      Settled,1806, by Scotch Presbyterians, whose Gaelic speech long survived. Rev. C.W. Grafton served as minister in area 61 years. Site where Grierson's raid was checked, April 28, 1863.

      • mississipi
      • church

      Laurel Hill Plantation

      Ca. 1815. Located almost one mile southwest, Laurel Hill is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. A single approach leads from the primary road one-fourth mile toward Rodney down ...

      • mississippi