A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

Eating and Drinking in Ann Arbor

Eating and Drinking in Ann Arbor   Sugar Bowl Restaurant, 109 South Main Street, 1927   In the 1930s Greek immigrants William Skinner, behind bar, and his wife Andriana, at the table far left, owned ...

    Great Cambridge Junction

    GREAT CAMBRIDGE JUNCTION  THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES THE NAMING OF THIS TRUNK ROAD IMPROVEMENT [illegible] MICHAEL PORTILLO MP MINISTER FOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND INNER CITES ON 27th JULY 1990 ON BEHALF ...

    • cambridge
    • england
    • trunk road impr...

    Oakley Store

    S.A. Oakley established his mercantile and grocery store here in 1938. Oakley sold hardware, canned goods, feed, kerosene and candy. After Oakley's death in 1941, his son Minor Oakley, operated ...

    • shelby county
    • tennessee

    Collierville Fort/Stockade

    Collierville was occupied by Union forces from 1862 until the end of the war in 1865. Submitted from the Shelby County Register's Office.

    • shelby county
    • tennessee

    Barken Elieser

    BARKEN ELIESER  Der Norske Misjonsselskaps misjonsskip ELIESER av Bergen ble bygget ved Jacob Trumpys Verk her pa Bradbenken.  Det var Louise Olsen (1817-1872) som tok initiative til innsamling og ...

    • elieser
    • trumpys
    • olsen
    • africa
    • madagascar

    United Nations Plaza

    UNITED NATIONS PLAZA UNITED NATIONS CHARTER WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY 2005 ACCESSIBLE FORMAT AVAILABLE SAN FRANCISCO MAIN LIBRARY (415) 557-4400

    • san francisco
    • bay area
    • united nations
    • library
    • accessible form...
    • environment day

    First Vessels Direct from Europe to Chicago

    HERFRA DIREKTE TIL CHICAGO SEILTE DISSE SKUTENE SOM APNET EUROPEISK TRAFIKK PA LANKENE. SKONNERTBRIGG SLEIPNER 150 REGISTER-TONN DROB 23 MAI 1862 EMIGRANTER OG LAST.  JAKT SKJOLDMOEN 55 REGISTERTONN ...

    • norway
    • bergen
    • chicago
    • 1863
    • skonnertbrigg s...
    • montreal

    Camp Henry C. Drewes

    JANUARY, 1944THE SECOND AM TRAC BN., U.S. MARINES, ESTABLISHED CAMP HENRY C. DREWES ON THIS SITE; HERE THEY TRAINED UNTIL MAY, 1944  HERE WE RESTED FROM BATTLE... PREPARED FOR ANOTHER... AND ...

    • wwii
    • 1944
    • hawaii
    • marines
    • alligator marin...

    Here Worshiped George Washington

      Trethewey Airfield

      • toronto
      • airfield
      • farm
      • 1910

      William Walker

      WILLIAM WALKER "Grey-eyed Man of Destiny"  Born May 8, 1824, Walker moved to this site from 6th Ave. N. in 1840. In early life he was a doctor, lawyer & journalist. He invaded Mexico in 1853 with 46 ...

      • nashville
      • destiny
      • republic of low...
      • hondouras
      • nicaragua
      • mexico

      Ship's Bell From S. S. Cape May

      SHIP'S BELL FROM S. S. CAPE MAY BUILT 1943 RETIRED 1969 LENGTH 417'9" BEAM 60 DRAFT 27'6" CREW 49 PRESENTED TO THE CITY BY U.S. MARITIME ADMINISTRATION IN 1974 SEVERED IN EUROPEAN WAR ZONE IN WORLD ...

      • bell
      • ship
      • wwii
      • 1943
      • commerce

      Latham Square

      • oakland
      • latham
      • california
      • bay area

      First Ship Into San Francisco Bay

      First Ship Into San Francisco Bay On August 5 1775, the Spanish packet San Carlos, under the command of Lieutenant Juan Manuel de Ayala, became the first ship to enter San Francisco Bay. A month and ...

        Thomas Jefferson

        By François de Dijon (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons ...

        • thomas jefferso...
        • france
        • dijon
        • 1785

        First Baptist Church (Collierville)

        By August 1836, before Jesse Collier and Horace Barbee had advertised "Collier Town for sale" in the Memphis Enquirer, the Baptists had located in the Collierville area. Shiloh Church was established ...

        • shelby county
        • tennessee

        First "Talkies"

        Parking can be fun, but not as fun as a show at Loew's Palace, where "talking movies" debuted in Memphis in 1928. The theater, where Harry Houdini and others performed in the 1920s, was razed in the ...

        • shelby county
        • tennessee

        First Methodist Church

        Organized 1826, the first building was of frame, with split log benches, built 1832. A new building was erected in 1845. During Federal occupation, a minister detailed by the Union commander ...

        • shelby county
        • tennessee

        Howells

        HOWELLS ORIGINALLY HOWELL'S DEPOT, A STATION ON THE ERIE R.R. POST OFFICE ESTABLISHED 1846. HOWELL'S CHURCH BUILT 1850. HOWELLS FIRE CO. FORMED 1924 MEMORIALIZED 2008 BY TOWN OF WALLKILL Submitted by ...

        • new york
        • erie
        • howells
        • post office
        • fire company

        Redwood Valley Railway

        REDWOOD VALLEY RAILWAY ERICH THOMSEN FOUNDER, DESIGNER, BUILDER & OPERATOR 1952 - 1995 EAST BAY REGIONAL PARK DISTRICT

        • berkeley
        • california
        • steam train
        • 1952

        Prime Minister's Office

        PRIME MINSTER'S OFFICE GOVERNMENT HOUSE  BUILT IN 1761-1771 SERVED AS A PRISON UNTIL 1813 ROYAL RESIDENCE AND GOVERNORS RESIDENCE UNTIL 1904 SEAT OF GOVERNMENT OFFICE SINCE 1904 OFFICE OF ...

        • iceland
        • prison unit

        The Outlaw

        EINAR JONSSON: UTILEGUMADURINN THE OUTLAW Submitted by Erin Wilson.

          Thousand Oaks Schools

          CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK designated in 1993  SITE OF THOUSAND OAKS SCHOOL (Demolished in 1998) William C. Hays, Architect, 1919 Stone and de Sanno, Architects, 1928 The residential subdivision of ...

          • berkeley
          • california
          • thousand oaks
          • school
          • 1919

          Breed's Hill

          BREED'S HILL  SITE OF THE BATTLE OF BUNKER HILL FOUGHT JUNE 17, 1775  ALTHOUGH ORDERS WERE ISSUED BY THE COMMITTEE OF SAFETY TO SEIZE AND FORTIFY BUNKER HILL THE COLONIAL OFFICERS ...

          • bunker hill
          • breed's hill
          • 1775
          • revolutionary w...

          John Gray Historic House

          One of the oldest surviving brick residences in Shelby County, the John Gray House, built prior to 1851, is a rare example of a Federal Period, hall and parlor plan, middle-class ...

          • shelby county
          • tennessee